Thursday, November 6, 2008

Contempt

Organic chemistry, quantum physics, and Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt all have the distinct honors of making me feel both depressed and stupid at the same time.

Despite being an adaptation of a novel, Godard manages to craft the film in a way that paralleled his own life at the time, and the characters of Camille and Prokosch obviously correspond to his then wife Ana Karina and a bossy producer. That said, I felt I was missing something; was this going to be one of those "French people talking" movies? I felt that Paul and Camille's conflict was a bit too drawn out to be as effective as it could have been (in particular the extended scene in their apartment; perhaps arguing with your lover is more exciting than watching it), though I still found the movie depressing.

That said, I thought the running parallels between the events of the film, the film being shot within the film, and the story of Homer's Odyssey were quite well done, particularly the bit about Ulysses killing Penelope's suitors in order for her to fall in love with him again. Paul carries a gun, and it made me recall that age old rule of not introducing a gun unless you plan on using it. I had figured that after this foreshadowing, he'd surely be forced to confront Camille's lover in some sort of passionate face off on an Italian cliff, but no deal. Instead, both Camille and her lover die in a car accident. It bothered me, but then again, I suppose that's a talent of Godard's.

No comments: